We've returned from Greenland!

Home Forums APPLES Teacher Forum We've returned from Greenland!

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    Nell Herrmann
    Participant

Kristin, Dina and I learned a great deal during our time in Greenland and are eager to share. I’ve put together a slide show that includes photos I took in Greenland; APPLES teachers are welcome to use all or part of the presentation. I’m unable to attach the presentation here, but am happy to share it on Google Drive. If you’d like to view the slideshow, please let me know! Please also note that a handful of photos in the presentation were not taken by me. Credit is given to the photographer in those cases.

Sounds great.

Cinda Murray

Hi Nell,

I’d love to share the pictures with my students.  Can you post a link or share the slide show with me?

Thanks!

Kristin Joivell
    Participant

Wow!  Greenland!  I never thought that I would have the opportunity to travel to this fantastic and wonderful place!  Looking back on last summer’s trip, it almost seems surreal to me that I was there at all–but the pictures prove that it wasn’t a dream.  I think one of the most valuable things to me this school year was to be able to validate to people in my community that climate change research is occurring in the Arctic right now.  Being able to show students, parents, and faculty the photographs of the OTCs being used in Greenland just like the one being used in the gardens at our school really gave credibility to the JV Phenology Project that I conducted over the past 2 school years.

Being able to see the glacier as it was calving off into the river was truly what hit home for me as it applies to the negative effects of climate change.  As it was breaking off, it made me wonder how much of the glacial melt was “normal” compared to other years and how little changes can make big impacts.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.